Increase and Diversify Education Abroad for US Students Grants were given to institutions from 18 states and Puerto Rico and were chosen out of a pool of 115 proposals.
“When American students study abroad, they support critical US foreign policy goals”
With the support of the IDEAS Grants, these institutions will support the goals of US foreign policy by developing and expanding their study abroad programs around the world.
“We are committed to continuing our support for US colleges and universities as they build their study abroad capacity now, in anticipation of a strong return to US student mobility in the future,” said Marie Royce, assistant secretary of state for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
“When American students study abroad, they support critical US foreign policy goals by building relationships with foreign peers, sharing American culture and values, and developing valuable career skills,” she said.
The grants were given to a diverse range of institutions, including five community colleges and eight Minority Serving Institutions.
Over the next year, these US colleges and universities will receive funding and programmatic support to help build and strengthen their capacity to send more American students overseas to more diverse destinations for years to come.
“With these international experiences, the next generation of Americans is being equipped with the skills necessary to compete and succeed globally,” Royce added.
The IDEAS Grant competition is part of the Capacity Building Program for US Study Abroad which also offers opportunities for faculty, staff, and administrators at US colleges and universities to participate in a series of free virtual and in-person study abroad capacity building activities.
Below is a full list of the institutions that have been awarded 2020 IDEAS grants:
- Baldwin Wallace University, Berea, Ohio
- Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Community College District 502 – College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
- Community College of Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland
- Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia
- Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, Georgia
- Lincoln University, Lincoln University, Pennsylvania Massasoit
- Community College, Brockton, Massachusetts
- Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena, Mississippi
- Montana State University Billings, Billings, Montana
- New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
- Oakland Community College, Farmington Hills, Michigan
- Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio Texas
- Woman’s University, Denton, Texas
- The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee
- Towson University, Towson, Maryland
- Universidad del Sagrado Corazon, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- University of Houston-Clear Lake, Houston, Texas
- University of Wisconsin – Stout, Menomonie, Wisconsin
- Utica College, Utica, New York
- Worcester State University, Worcester, Massachusetts