An international partnership of university presidents from research-intensive institutions who will work together, the U7 Alliance is made up of more than 30 universities from the G7 countries – Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK and the US.
“The U7 Alliance will stimulate discussion and ideas, with a view to making long-lasting commitments”
In creating the U7 Alliance, the world’s leading universities recognise they have a unique responsibility as global actors, in fields well beyond academia, to take concrete action both together and within their institutions for a local, regional and global impact.
President and provost of U7 Alliance member University College London, Michael Arthur, said the alliance brings together universities who have a passion for sharing knowledge, finding solutions and making a positive difference to the world.
“Universities are uniquely placed to bring together research, expertise and best practices, which can positively affect our local, national and international communities,” he explained.
“The U7 Alliance will stimulate discussion and ideas, with a view to making long-lasting commitments and taking concrete action and, in doing so, we can further demonstrate the public good of universities.”
The U7 Alliance will also meet yearly for an annual summit to discuss a common agenda and establish a space for universities’ action.
The inaugural summit will be held in Paris on 9-10 July and will tackle five major global challenges: the key role of universities in a global world; climate change and cleaner energy; inequality and polarised societies; technological transformations; and community engagement and impact.
Hosted at Sciences Po, the summit will conclude with 15 concrete commitments, as voted on by the university presidents.
For the first U7 Alliance summit, invitations have also been extended to institutions in 14 other countries – Argentina, Morocco, Senegal, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, India, Ghana, South Africa, Australia, South Korea, Singapore and Mexico.
Founding members of the U7 Alliance
- University College of London – Great Britain
- University of Cambridge – Great Britain
- Imperial College London – Great Britain
- University of Edinburgh – Great Britain
- London School of Economics and Political Science – Great Britain
- Freie Universität Berlin – Germany
- Universität Heidelberg – Germany
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich – Germany
- University of Mannheim – Germany
- Technical University of Munich – Germany
- Universita Bocconi – Italy
- University of Naples Federico II – Italy
- Sapienza University of Rome – Italy
- Columbia University, New York – United States of America
- University of British Columbia – Canada
- McGill University – Canada
- Université de Montréal – Canada
- University of Ottawa – Canada
- University of Toronto – Canada
- Hitotsubashi University – Japan
- Keio University – Japan
- Osaka University – Japan
- University of Tokyo – Japan
- Aix-Marseille Université – France
- Université de Bordeaux – France
- Université Côte d’Azur –France
- Ecole Polytechnique – France
- Université Grenoble Alpes – France
- HEC Paris – France
- Université de Lyon – France
- Université Paris Diderot – France
- Université Paris Saclay – France
- Université Paris Sciences et Lettres – France
- Sciences Po – France
- Sorbonne Université – France
- Université de Strasbourg -France
Universities invited to the first summit
- Ashesi University – Ghana
- University of Cape Town – South Africa
- Université Cheikh Anta Diop – Senegal
- University of Ibadan – Nigeria
- Institut National Polytechnique Félix Houphouët-Boigny – Ivory Coast
- Université Mohammed VI Polytechnique – Morocco
- Australian National University – Australia
- Seoul National University – South Korea
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico – Mexico
- National University of Singapore – Singapore